Week 12 - Beto's Famous Last Words?

Beto O'Rourke
(Image of Beto taken from AP Photo courtesy of Eric Gay)

I want to share my Facebook post about Beto here as well: "When I was ten years old I saw a man with the middle name Hussein become President of the United States. I looked down at my own caramel-colored arms and up towards him in complete amazement. I never thought a skinny, brown-skinned man with a funny name could become something so great in America. I believe that was the first time I saw my potential. Our Potential. 

Ten years later, I sit in my room and watch Beto O'Rourke give his concession speech. I revel in his faithful smile, optimistic eyes, and unbeaten spirit. As he walks towards the crowd of thousands that await his sorrowed words, he dares not look down. He looks forward as if the future has laid itself out in front of him; as if tonight's narrow defeat was a victory of its own. He preaches the same message of equality, unity, and hope in his last senatorial candidate public address as he did his first. And when his sermon comes to an end and the crowd slips into "2020" chants, he gracefully exits to hug his wife at the end of the stage. They journey towards their children in the back room, shaking hands, signing autographs, and returning sincere "I love you too"s to any supporter that presents themselves.


I see a hopeful man walk down the platform steps to John Lennon's 'Imagine.' I see a future for the country I love. I see my own potential once more. Our potential. Thank you, Beto. Thank you for offering us hope and for gifting us the power to imagine a better tomorrow."

As he addressed the nation with glittering eyes, Beto O'Rourke finished his senatorial concession speech with the words: "I'm so f*cking proud of you guys."

Normally, I'm not one to curse or champion anyone who uses foul language but I think Beto's passion in the moment is what makes this case so special for me. This man, after nearly two years of campaigning and going through every single one of Texas' 254 counties (even those that have historically hated Democrats) stood vulnerably before a crowd of thousands. Beto represents hope to many Americans now. His message of unity towards both sides of the aisle was popular enough to paint 48% of Texas blue, a feat previously thought impossible by pollsters and political scientists alike.

The reason I chose Beto for this post mostly stems from the ambiguity of his next move. Many think and hope he will run for president in 2020. I hope that myself. But he might be too good of a man to leave his family for another two years to campaign. I guess that is my true frustration. Any good man would be scared of the power and sad to sacrifice those he loves to achieve it. That is why his "final" words might have even more of an impact, because if they remain his final public words they eclipse a brighter future for America.

Comments

Popular Posts