Reading Notes - African Stories (Lang) Part A

(Image taken from MythFolklore blog)
The African stories unit is very interesting to me because my brother in law is actually from Kenya! Getting to read more about the stories he heard growing up makes me feel a little closer to him, as strange as that sounds. I thought the stories in this section were very focused on possession, justice, and wit. When looking at the Eurocentric history education I have been given it is clear to see where my biases already were. I thought of Africa as lawless, poor, and helpless. That is a terrible thing to say and although ignorance of the fact is my fault, it is my education that ultimately failed me. In the stories of the magical boy and the jackal there is a lot of wisdom, but also a lot of culture. The ogre requires re-compensation for the water taken from him, the jackal can outwit the hare. 

Bibliography: "The Crimson Fairy Book" translated by Andrew Lang and available on Mythfolklore blog.

Comments

Popular Posts