Reading Options

(Image taken from the Portfolio Collection)

The reason I chose this particular image is because it is a mosaic consisting of the people of the world to make it in map form. I believe that it is their stories that our history is written and our emotions expressed. That is why when I was going through some of the stories today, I focused on the ones that have inspired my own culture.
The first of such items of interest is Persian Tales. Persian Tales are the basis of many Pakistan stories. In fact, our language is derived from parts of Farsi (Persian). I especially thought these stories were interesting because I have heard versions of them as I was growing up. The Persian way of story telling is a bit morbid, much like the Brothers Grimm.

The second of such items of interest is Arabian Nights. Arabian Nights also contributed to Pakistan's development as much of Islam and the Urdu language is rooted in Pakistani culture. One such story that I enjoyed was the story of the sultan who marries a girl that tells fantastic stories.

The third of such items of interest is Turkish Tales. Turkish is the final culture that influences the Pakistani people (other than parts of Indian culture). Turkish is also the third largest language that contributes to Urdu. The tales here highlight the personification of emotion, which is also a common theme that Pakistani stories have.

Comments

Popular Posts