Week 15 - Extra Reading

(Image taken from Wikipedia)
Russian literature is something I have always been fascinated with but never really exposed to. Growing up with mostly American media, they are always dehumanized and mad to be this tough "bad guy" like figures. But the stories I read were not any different from other cultures. There is also a heavy emphasis on the cold Russian winter being a part of their culture, but once again I found no real evidence of this in the stories.

Russian stories, for the most part in this section, were comprised of wives' tales and by that I mean tales comprised of wives! There is a strong connection between the wife and husband that seems to inspire stories. There were also many mentions of the devil's interference with the living that I was not expecting. Overall, I am disappointed by the lack of roughness that Russian folklore is often thought to have, but I am not disappointed by the stories themselves. They were interesting pieces with very unpredictable plots. 

Bibliography: Russian Fairy Tales by W. R. S. Ralston can be found at Mythfolklore blog.

Comments

Popular Posts