Week 12 Story - The Lion and the Mouse

lionmouse (1)


(Image taken from GinaSoleil)

He was a clever little thing, with four paws about a centimeter wide and a bright white coat that made him almost impossible to be overlooked. As he skirted around the savanna that beautiful Summer morning, he almost forgot he lived in the lighted kingdom where everything belonged to the lions. You see, Simone was a simple mouse, he kept to himself for most of the day, usually scavenging food and reporting unusual observances to the local animal news center to support his family. This particular morning he was attempting to secure a shipment of raisins that he had heard were being brought in from California. Simone rushed to beat all other rodents to the scene, dashing through the literal lion's den to make it in time. All was going well for him until he ran into a massive problem. And by problem, I mean a paw that was roughly 13 times bigger than his own.

The paw snatched his legs from the ground and with a booming voice the lion king, Leo, inquired his purpose, "What mouse dares to run through the house of the king?"

"It is I, your majesty, Simone of eastern savanna."

"What brings you here Simone of eastern savanna?"

"I am in a hurry to get raisins to feed my family, my king. There was a report of a new shipment that has just arrived from California into the western savanna. I wanted to get there quicker. I apologize for my insolence, my king. If you let me go I shall surely repay you."

Upon hearing this humble request, the lion began to laugh. "How could a lowly mouse ever repay a king," Leo proclaimed, "but since I am a merciful ruler I shall allow you to keep your life. But you must go around my den to receive your raisins." Leo let Simone leave the chambers, hoping to never have to stoop so low as to hold a mouse ever again.

Simone began the longer journey around the lion's den now. Sprinting across the savanna to reach the raisin shipment, but upon his arrival at the cargo bay he knew something was wrong. The other rodents had fled the scene except one particular raccoon that he had never seen before who refused to do much of anything. Simone ran to the raccoon and proceeded to welcome him to the savanna. "Hello, good sir, welcome to East Africa."

The raccoon said nothing.

"Well, I must say it is a bit rude of you to not respond to me when I am welcoming you."

The raccoon, once again, uttered nothing.

"Very well then, I hope you are NOT welcome in the savanna!"

Just as Simone was about to turn his head he saw a man appear, with a rifle in hand , to reach down and scoop the raccoon and place it upon his head. The raccoon was dead already and found its purpose as a hat. The man almost stepped on Simone as he was walking by and turned towards three other men behind him, "Let the lion hunting begin," he urged.

[To be Continued]

Author's Note: After doing my extra reading for Aesop's fables, I decided that I wanted to go with a story I had heard throughout my life. One particular part of the story I wanted to make my own though was the background of the characters inside it. I always enjoyed the interactions between the lion and the mouse as a child, but as I have gotten older I realized that it has lacked the substance it needs to be a truly inspirational reading for older audiences. It needs more grit and connectivity with the reader. That is what I am attempting to convey with my story as of now.

Bibliography:  Fables and Satires translated by Sir Booth Brookby and available to read on MythFolklore Blog.

Comments

  1. Hi Muneeb, I really enjoyed reading your story The Lion and the Mouse. I think your story is very well written and easy to follow. I like how you use descriptors such as the size of the mouse’s paws to help the reader visualize the situation. I also really like how your story builds throughout and then a suspense at the end. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Muneeb. I have never read the original story but I loved your version. You are a great writer. Reading this story was so easy and I could definitely visualize it all the way through. It is funny how the little mouse is not afraid of the lion. Overall great story! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts