Week 12 Reading Part B




(Image taken from MythFolklore Blog)

Part B Reading of the Beowulf story was very descriptive and imagery-ridden tale that completes the saga. It is a very interesting subject to cover this week for me because Beowulf is perhaps the first set of stories that has actually shown some sign of the literary elements emphasized in "great" stories, I do fully believe it is this way because the original writing was in English and therefore did not have to be fully translated. This had me thinking of all the poetic and dramatic details I have missed in other stories because I do not understand their culture or language well enough to submerse myself into their story. The second part of Beowulf stresses his brutish nature and individual roughness. He takes Grendal down with his bare-hands and then goes after its mother (this part of the story just got strange though). I thought this story was interesting and very telling of Anglo values.

Bibliography: The Story of Beowulf translated by Strafford Riggs on MythFolklore Blog.

Comments

Popular Posts